What to Expect on the Build Site
Due to COVID-19 we are not able to accept new volunteers. Please check back often as things change.
Thank you for interest in providing labor on a Habitat project. We use volunteers on every aspect of the build site, such as framing, drywall, and painting. We welcome volunteers of every skill level and what you don't know, we'll teach you! Currently, we work each Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Construction work is on-going all year long but all working days are weather permitting.
We abide by federal and state child labor laws, including restricting youth under 16 years old from an active construction work site, and youth under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult and are restricted from operating power tools and engaging in hazardous construction.
A Typical Day on the Build Site:
- Volunteer check in will begin at 8 am on the job-site with the volunteer coordinator. Please arrive a few minutes early.
- After you get signed-in, you will receive a hard hat, necessary tools, and assigned tasks. A site supervisor will be there to help you with the process.
- Street parking at the job-site is within a residential area, therefore carpooling is highly recommended.
- Please bring your own drinking water/sports drink to stay hydrated throughout the day.
- There is a lunch break at 11:30. For volunteers working the whole day, lunch will be provided.
- Be prepared to be exposed to cold and/or heat. Dress appropriately, layers are recommended.
- Wear clothes that can get dirty or damaged.
- Wear closed toe shoes or boots with thick soles. NO SANDALS! Sneakers are okay.
- There is a restroom facility on site, but it is not glamorous by any means
- The workday is scheduled to end around 3 pm.
Weather and Construction Delays: Habitat will not be able guarantee work on a scheduled day. It is important to check your email and text messages the week leading up to your scheduled volunteer day, to stay informed about changes in the construction schedule. Volunteers may also call the Habitat office at 402-477-9184 any time for the updated weekly build schedule.